Monday, March 30, 2009

Vinyl Floor



This year I had the same final four picks that Pres. Obama did, and both our brackets sunk together, with just one of the four selections (UNC) making it. I'm 40/60 so far, and two out of three ain't bad in most things, but falls below the Mendoza line in the NCAA Tournament, where anything less than 70% is failure.

Across the pond, the final four in the FA Cup are Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea, and Everton. Four teams in the top six of the Premier League = Bor-ring! Where are my overachieving underdogs?

Tomorrow I'll conclude my month of Robyn with a post about Goodnight Oslo. What does everyone think of that one?

4 comments:

B said...

Goodnight Oslo: I like it for the most part. Some of the songs are a little weak in the songwriting department, but the production is really energetic and fun -- I like all the harmonies. Unfortunately, the first two songs are, by far, the very worst songs -- I hate it when an album opens with the worst songs! Especially when the album is already pretty short.
"Up To Our Nex" is fantastic -- reminds of something Roy Wood would have done. The title track is a masterpiece -- that one "stone classic" track that every Hitchcock album contains!

My bracket is toast, too, by the way. Maybe next year...

The Modesto Kid said...

What does everyone think of that one?

Very enthusiastic about it, particularly the first side. "I'm Falling" reminds me of some of my favorite songs on Perspex Island. The songs on side to are great taken individually but do not cohere in the same way as side 1. Side 1 really feels like the birth of a band with a distinct sound, where Ole! Tarantula seemed to me like a Robyn Hitchcock record.

Did you know, three of the songs from Goodnight Oslo -- "Hurry for the Sky", "I'm Falling", "TLC" -- are written for the soundtrack of a movie about Brian Epstein? "TLC" is such a funny little gem of a song -- don't remember Robyn ever sounding so much like a lounge singer.

Lorrei said...

Steve, did you photograph my kitchen floor, you sneaky guy?

Lorrie said...

That's Lorrie. Geez, yes, I do know how to spell my own name! Sometimes.