Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Goodnight Oslo



It's the last day of month, so it's time for my final entry in the month of Robyn Hitchcock albums, and his most recent offering Goodnight Oslo. This is Robyn's second album with the Venus 3 and his third for Yep Roc. I forgot to post about Shadow Cat, yet another odds & sods collection that came out last year. It's okay, but nothing special.

Goodnight Oslo has only been out a little over a month, and I haven't had time to dig deep into it in between rediscovering Robyn's back catalog, but I'm really enjoying it after a handful of listens. It seems like a sequel to Ole! Tarantula, an album that I'm still wearing out after two years, and I need more albums like that. I agree with the assessment that the first song "What You Is" is probably the weakest track and the final one "Goodnight Oslo" is the strongest. Song for song, it doesn't seem as strong as O!T, but the high points are as good as anything he's ever done. Robyn's best album since his last one, and also until his next one. Here's "Up To Our Nex", one of the better songs from the album, that was recently featured in Jonathan Demme's film Rachel Getting Married



And we're out.. Goodnight, Oslo!

Thanks to everyone for following and commenting on these entries and keeping me honest (especially new commenters like Tulloch and the Modesto Kid). I've had so much fun, that I'm going to find another artist to explore in April. Hopefully someone with fewer than 20 albums in their catalog!

1 comment:

The Modesto Kid said...

Thanks very much for this chronology -- I came back to Hitchcock after listening to him in high school and drifting away, so I missed a large part of his career that I've been catching back up with over the last couple of years. This series of posts is really useful.

As far as the first song being weak, I listened to it again today -- yeah, the lyric is not Robyn's best work by any means; but the energy and flow of the performance really set the stage for the rest of the record. I'm pretty happy with it.

Any idea whether the heavy rhythm guitar that is a key feature of several songs is Peter Buck, or Robyn?