Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Venus the goddess of love can thank all the stars above

Last week I complained that Robyn Hitchcock hasn't played in San Francisco since Feb 2006. This week Robyn & The Venus 3 announced a U.S. Tour for the Spring that will take them to our fair city. I've only been doing this for a few weeks, and I'm already "making things happen".

Go see them if they're near you. Near here, they're playing at Slim's on April 10th, one day before the 30th Anniversary of The Beach Boys Love You. Maybe Robyn's Venus 3 mates Scott McCaughey and Peter Buck (who wrote the sleeve notes for the 2001 CD reissue of Love You) could persuade him to work up a cover of "Solar System" or "Johnny Carson" for its anniversary? Let it be so!

Around the same time, a new documentary on Robyn Hitchcock called "Sex, Food, Death, and Insects" (a nod to Amy X.'s "Death & Love & Insects"?) will debut Tuesday March 27th on the Sundance Channel. It's by John Edgington, who directed the most excellent Pink Floyd and Syd Barrett Story, so you know it's going to be a good one.

Speaking of upcoming 30th anniversaries, I just noticed a version of the 1977 Give It To The Soft Boys EP with a naked breast on the cover? If I'd seen that at a record shop when I was 12 or 13 years old, I'd have become a Robyn Hitchcock fan at a much younger age!

No comments: