Thursday, January 25, 2007

I heard my mama cry

Earlier, I mentioned how I used to be a Chicago Bears fan when I lived in Illinois. That was 20+ years ago. I'm not a Bears' fan anymore. When it comes to sports teams, I'm like a chameleon adapting to my current locale. And after I moved to the SF Bay Area in 1987, I became a 49er fan (as I discovered when found myself cheering as the Niners stomped the Bears 41-0 on Monday Night Football that year) and have stayed one more-or-less ever since. Until recent years when the 49ers weren't very good. This year they were 7-9, which isn't very good, but better than the 4-12 they were last year or the 2-14 they were the year before that. So things are on the upswing in 49erland.

And if I were a Bears' fan last week, I would have stopped being one after last Sunday's NFC Championship game against the New Orleans Saints at Soldier Field. The city of New Orleans was ravaged by a hurricane and a flood last year. The Saints had to play all their games on the road. This year both the team and the community are recovering. They nearly made it to the Super Bowl. It was the football feel good story of this year. Except for the Bears fan who hung this sign up at Soldier Field last Sunday.


For the graphically challenged, the sign says "Bears Finishing What Katrina Started". Which is not cool. Not at all. I know this is just one idiot (or group of idiots) out of 60 thousand fans, but it makes the Super Bowl more relevant when you have a team to root for. Or against, as the case may be. I've found a team to cheer against in Super Bowl XLI. Go Colts!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I usually root for the AFC team unless there is some compelling reason to hate the AFC team. Speaking of '85, that was one of those years for me, because I hate hate hated that Patriots team that took out much better Raiders and Dolphins teams through sheer dumb luck. I was so happy the Bears stomped them silly. Anyway, I don't hate Peyton Manning, despite his UT halo still casting a long shadow over Tennessee, so a Colts fan I will be.

flasshe said...

Sheesh... I wish you hadn't shown me that, as I was going to root for the Bears. I'm from Illinois originally and still have a soft spot for them. Plus I hate the Colts. Darn.