Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Flying Currito Bros.



A few months ago, I noticed an orange Curry Up Now truck parked on Bush St, with a line down the block of people waiting to order. CUN a regular taco truck that serves Indian Street food, and their specialty is the "tikka masala burrito", which is exactly what it says -- chicken tikka masala wrapped in a flour tortilla. Most regulars like to call it a "currito".

I've always wanted to try it, but keep getting intimidated by the crowds during the lunchtime rush. I found on yelp that the secret is to either show up before noon or order online via their iPhone/Android app (or old-fashioned website). I wasn't together enough to order early, so I headed over at 11:30 today when the line wasn't quite as long. I had my chicken tikka burrito in less than five minutes.

The "currito" looks like a regular Misson burrito but tastes like curry. Very spicy curry, with methi palao and chickpeas instead of rice & beans. They're quite filling, but on the pricey side at $7.50 (I don't think they charge 350 rupees for Indian street food in India), which means I'll need to bring lunch from home one day this month to stay within my budget.

June 8:
Ordered: Chicken Tikka Masala Burrito from Curry Up Now
Cost: $7.50
Remaining Budget: $67.82

No comments: