Friday, June 10, 2011

El Faro Friday

One of the great mysteries that I've been trying to solve since I started working in downtown SF is why there's always line out the door at Chipotle on Market every lunchtime while there are better (and cheaper) burritos with no waiting, just one block away at El Faro.



El Faro is a Bay Area institution that served the first-ever "Mission Burrito" in 1961, so they've been doing burritos for fifty years, and their style has changed very little during that time. Giant flour tortillas, refried beans, shredded lettuce, grated cheese, and that "mexican rice" that comes in Swanson dinners. Total comfort food.

I lived one block from the Concord El Faro when I moved back to the Bay Area in the late 80s, and used to eat there at least twice a week. I don't think I could do that now, but try to go there at least twice a month for lunch. All those one and two star reviews on yelp must be keeping people away, but I'm happy that El Faro is still around.

June 10
Ordered: Super Vegetarian Burrito from El Faro
Cost: $5.25
Remaining Budget: $61.22

No comments: