Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Christmas and the Beads of Sweat

My next 1970 album comes from the third of the three N's I discovered via Three Dog Night (after Newman and Nilsson).

It's Christmas and the Beads of Sweat by Laura Nyro.



This is not a Christmas album, despite the title, but I've still been tempted to put this song ("Christmas In My Soul") on one of my holiday mixes.

Maybe this year? The live version from Fillmore East is only six minutes long!

I've been a Laura Nyro fan for a long time, but Christmas.. is one of her more "difficult" albums for me. I loved the songs when I saw her do them live in the early 90s (I had no idea that she "played for the other team" and was surprised that the audience was 90% female), but the album seems more dated and less timeless than her first two albums. Every song is at least two verses too long, and Duane Allman and Laura Nyro are two great tastes that don't taste great together!

No comments: