Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The greatest couplet in the entire history of the pop lyric

Robyn Hitchcock & the Egyptians on the Old Grey Whistle Test, 1985



I watched this OGWT performance as it happened, and it was my first exposure to RH. My first thought was "I know this is the 80s, but there aren't many people who would go on TV with a polka dot shirt and a plaid sportcoat!". My second thought was "He's pretty good, he sounds like Syd Barrett". My third thought was (singing along) "All aboard, Brenda's Iron Sledge. Please don't call me Reg! It's not my name..not yet!".

I've been enjoying the Egyptians' Luminous Groove box that I picked up over the weekend, especially the outtakes disc and the live disc (since I never picked up Gotta Let This Hen Out on CD). The Egyptians were a really good live band! These albums are also available individually on emusic.

1 comment:

2fs said...

With all due respect for Mr. Hitchcock, an excellent lyricist, the greatest rock couplet is:

But I'm glad I'm a man
And so's Lola