Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Eight Tracks from 1988

For this week's Music: What Happened?, Scott Miller tackles 1988, another one of my favorite Olympic years, and the year of my first Presidential election as a voter.

I voted for this guy, who finished in second place.



Here's a playlist with eight of Scott's selections from 1988. I didn't have many of these songs, but 8tracks.com has a "network" feature where you can load songs from other people's playlists. All but two of these tracks had already been playlisted.

Eight Tracks From 1988

1. "Bone Machine" - The Pixies
2. "Cult of Personality" - Living Colour
3. "Mandinka" - Sinead O'Connor
4. "Life Is Grand" - Camper Van Beethoven
5. "Fast Car" - Tracy Chapman
6. "Teenage Riot" - Sonic Youth
7. "Ana Ng" - They Might Be Giants
8. "Dream World" - Midnight Oil

The selections I have in my library, and would have included if I was home (where I'm not) are "Kidney Bingos", "Charlotte Anne", and "Bad Machinery", which would have replaced tracks 2,3, and 5 above. I would have also included something from these eight albums
  1. The Church - Starfish
  2. The Feelies - Only Life
  3. Game Theory - Two Steps From The Middle Ages
  4. Go Betweens - 16 Lovers Lane
  5. The Lilac Time - The Lilac Time
  6. R.E.M. - Green
  7. Richard Thompson - Amnesia
  8. Traveling Wilburys - Volume 1
1988 was my first year out of college, so I was poor and musically out of touch, and only bought about 15-20 new albums, still more than I'm buying twenty years later.

3 comments:

2fs said...

Your link 404s. This one - This one should work.

B said...

Scott still doesn't know the Go-Betweens' stuff -- I keep meaning to school him!

Steve said...

The link had a spurious space..It's fixed now