Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Getting out of the way

I heard John McCain's new campaign anthem today.



McCain has been having trouble finding a theme song after he was rebuffed by ABBA for using "Take A Chance On Me" and sued by Jackson Browne for using "Running On Empty" in an ad. It takes a true maverick like John McCain to use "Running On Empty" as a campaign anthem!

So with nowhere else to go, McCain went to the GOP-friendly country genre to find a new theme for his campaign: "Raisin' McCain" by John Rich. Raisin' the question "who is John Rich?" According to wikipedia, John Rich is the homophobic half of country duo Big and Rich, and a staunch Republican who supported Fred Thompson in the primaries.

At a John McCain rally earlier this month, John Rich said he was sure "Johnny Cash would have been a John McCain supporter if he was still around", but he was later rebuffed by Johnny's daughter Roseanne. If Johnny Cash were still around, I'm sure he'd have his own "straight talk" for John Rich, but that's not for me to guess!

Even without the implied politics, "Raisin' McCain" is a pretty crummy song. It's not Right Brothers level bad, but the lyrics are like 8th grade poetry and the title is too close to "It's Rainin' McCain" (which I thought was a parody?).

Given the choice of "getting on the train" or "getting out of the way", I think I'd opt for the latter. Maybe I'm sheltered in a blue enclave of a deep blue state, but I can't believe for a second that McCain's trainwreck of a campaign is tied in the polls with that other guy!

2 comments:

Sue T. said...

You are sheltered. McCain's going to win. I've been saying it for months now and nothing that's happened since has made me change my mind. The Dems will strengthen their congressional majority which means we'll be in for 4 more years of stalemate & vetoes. Maybe it's time for me to start considering moving to Sweden permanently...

Steve said...

For someone who's going to win, John McCain is sure bleeding support. Even Toby Keith is endorsing Obama.