Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Turbo Taco Tuesday

This Summervillain entry from last week about fish tacos reminded me to share my fish taco recipe today. Many of my "vegetarian" friends and colleagues are pescetarians of some sort, but he's the only one I've heard who limits his intake to certain types of fish (cod and catfish).

I usually make my fish tacos out of either tilapia or turbot, because tilapia and turbot tacos are (a) alliterative and (b) cheap. They're usually cheap because they're "farm fished", which many pseudo-pescetarians view as "bad" but I view as "affordable"!

Turbot Tacos
Turbot (or another T whitefish) fillets
Corn tortillas
Shredded cabbage
Salsa verde
Fresh lime wedges
Sliced avocadoes

Since turbot and tilapia don't have a lot in the "taste" department, I like to marinate them before cooking, and Trader Joe's Cuban Mojito Sauce makes a great cheap fish marinade. Marinade it for at least 8 hours, then grill it quickly on a grill pan or frying pan for two minutes per side.

Microwave six corn tortillas for about 40 seconds, then spread salsa on each warm tortilla. Place fillet in center of each tortilla, add shredded cabbage, fold tortilla and top with sliced avocado. I borrowed the avocado idea from the grilled mahi mahi tacos at Baja Fresh and now I think it's an essential ingredients. Not guacamole, just sliced whole avocado. Garnish with fresh lime wedges and sour cream (or plain yogurt). Yum.

No comments: