Friday, May 30, 2008

Garage '66

1966 Plymouth Babararacucudada

After throwing together a muxtape of some of Scott Miller's favorite songs of 1966 the other day, I've decided to update my own muxtape of 1966 songs. Scott describes "Wild Thing" as "the first and best garage rock tune", so I decided to focus on garage rock (which was called "punk" before punk became something else a decade later). Here is a mix of a dozen proto-punk Nuggets or Pebbles from 1966.

Garage '66
1. "All Tomorrow's Parties (single mix)" - The Velvet Underground
They don't have garages in Manhattan, so the Velvets were more like a "loft band". This was a pre-release single for the Velvet Underground & Nico album.

2. "Train Kept a Rollin'" - Brave New World
I have this on a Mojo compilation called Instant Garage. BNW were from the Northwest, and this raved up Yardbirds track sounds like a rolling train!

3. "Misty Lane" - The Chocolate Watchband
The Watchband were one third of the South Bay garage trinity (with the Count Five and the Syndicate of Sound). This was their small regional hit that should have been a huge national hit.

4. "Devil With A Blue Dress On" - Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels
I had to include the "Detroit Wheels" on a "garage rock" mix. This was a huge national hit, a medley with "Good Golly Miss Molly" that made it to the top five.

5. "Psychotic Reaction" - The Count Five
Another third of the South Bay garage trinity. This should have followed the Chocolate Watchband track, but I wanted to have the Count Five as track #5.

6. "Too Much To Dream" - The Electric Prunes
I've muxtaped this one before. And will do so again.

7. "Seven and Seven Is" - Love
Like having the Count Five at #5, I had to have "Seven and Seven Is" at #7. The b-side of this single was "No. Fourteen", helping to teach the kids arithmetic.

8. "I'm Not Like Everybody Else" - The Kinks
This song, one of the four or five best Kinks songs ever, was the b-side to "Sunny Afternoon", and one of the staples of teenage garage bands of the era.

9. "Talk Talk" - The Music Machine
Everything that's great about "sixties punk" distilled down to two minutes (1:56).

10. "Little Black Egg" - The Nightcrawlers
Another holdover from my last muxtape.

11. "Pushin' Too Hard" - The Seeds
I think this song may contain the best guitar solo ever. Yes, better than "Louie, Louie".

12. "Gloria" - The Shadows of Knight
This was one of the anthems of my college (in Peoria, IL) where we used to sing the song as "P-E-O-R-I-A".

No comments: