Tuesday, April 29, 2008

A quarter century of nickel-dime people

Happy Lee Elia Day Everyone!

Elia's legendary tirade in the Cubs clubhouse was 25 years ago today. Here's the transcript, with all 44(!) expletives excised. It reads funnier that way.
[Expletive] those [Expletive] fans who come out here and say they're Cub fans that are supposed to be behind you rippin' every [Expletive] thing you do. I'll tell you one [Expletive] thing, I hope we get [Expletive] hotter than [Expletive], just to stuff it up them 3,000 [Expletive] people that show up every [Expletive] day, because if they're the real Chicago [Expletive] fans, they can kiss my [Expletive] ass right downtown and PRINT IT.

They're really, really behind you around here... my [Expletive] ass. What the [Expletive] am I supposed to do, go out there and let my [Expletive] players get destroyed every day and be quiet about it? For the [Expletive] nickel-dime people who turn up? The [Expletive] don't even work. That's why they're out at the [Expletive] game. They oughta go out and get a [Expletive] job and find out what it's like to go out and earn a [Expletive] living. Eighty-five percent of the [Expletive] world is working. The other fifteen percent come out here. A [Expletive] playground for the [Expletive]. Rip them [Expletive]. Rip them [Expletive] [Expletive] like the [Expletive] players. we got guys bustin' their [Expletive] [Expletive], and them [Expletive] people boo. And that's the Cubs? My players get around here. I haven't seen it this [Expletive] year.

I still don't know what "They can kiss my ass right downtown.. AND PRINT IT!" means, but it's one of my favorite statements ever. And you can take that downtown and print it! And if anyone ever run into Tommy Lasorda, be sure to ask him what his opinion of Kingman's performance is.

1 comment:

Joe said...

Also the 38th anniversary of Pink Floyd's appearance at KQED:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXS_lk9mg8w

and their show that night at the Fillmore:
http://qualityboots.blogspot.com/2008/03/pink-floyd-interstellar-fillmore-1970.html