Saturday, March 8, 2008

Just a Touch

I bought a new (actually a reconditioned) 16gb iPod Touch yesterday. It's a big upgrade from my old nano: a larger screen, and twice the capacity, and the entire internet (including youtube) in the palm of my hand.

It was a used unit with some parts missing like the USB 2.0 cable (which I have already) and the sucky Apple earbuds. They also hadn't wiped the previous owner's content off. He or she had fewer than 60 songs (mostly by Timbaland and Nelly) and a couple of videos in some Eastern European language. Right now I've synched up all the music I would ever need to listen to, which only filled 12gb of the 16gb. Now I just need to learn how to transfer videos from DVD.

In order to separate the Touch from the iPhone, Apple initially did not include the Mail, Weather or Stock apps in the iPod touch, but they're all available now as well as many other Apple and third party apps now that they're opening the SDK. An iPod touch is now just like an iPhone, without the "phone". I don't need these applications since I use webmail (the mobile Gmail works pretty well on the touch), don't have many stocks, and can tell the weather by looking outside. You don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows.

Maybe someday I'll learn the touchscreen well enough to compose and submit an entire blog entry on my new iPod. Right now, it's taking me long enough to just enter my username and password into gmail, and enter search criteria on youtube. This was the first youtube video I saw last night on my Touch. Even crummy bootleg footage like this looks nice on a 3.5 inch widescreen.

No comments: