Tuesday, February 26, 2008

First clogging of Spring

The baseball season isn't really here until Dusty Baker's first "clogging up the bases" quote.


I think walks are overrated unless you can run. If you get a walk and put the pitcher in a stretch, that helps, but the guy who walks and can't run, most of the time he's clogging up the bases for somebody who can run -- Dusty Baker, 2004

On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage... Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me. -- Dusty Baker, 2006

David Wright stole 20 bases last year so you don't have to worry about him clogging up the bases at the top of the order. -- Dusty Baker, 2007

Sometimes you get so caught up in on-base percentage that you're clogging up the bases. -- Dusty Baker, 2008
I don't know if Miles still reads my blog, but my sincere condolences to him and every other Cincinnati fan. They have a good team with lots of young talent, but with Dusty at the helm, they're going to lose 90 games again this year and get relegated to the American Association. Only the Pirates will prevent the Reds from last place.

2 comments:

B said...

More Dusty bashing! Did he run over your dog or something? Do I need to rattle off his list of accomplishments and honors yet again? Wouldn't you be better off writing about someone you liked? I'm baffled by your relentless belitting of a fine baseball man and his fine career, and I don't understand why he bothers you so much! There's more than one way to manage a team--why must you be so negative and mean?

(go giants)

Steve said...

I LOVE Dusty! I just like to have fun with his outmoded way of thinking. He needs to come up with a different stock answer when people ask him about on-base percentage.