Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Dancing With Mr. D

In the comments to yesterday's Dusty-bashing post, the mysterious Mr. B asks if I might be better off talking about something I like that something I don't like.

Fair enough. Right now, I'm liking the Mr. D album Wings & Wheels. The album was recommended a couple of days a go by the fine folks at 125 Records, "especially if you're into Teenage Fanclub". My last.fm stats confirm that I am into TFC (my weekend run through all 4,760 Seconds of Four Thousand Seven Hundred And Sixty Seconds pushed the Fannies to 100 plays, more than any other artist) , and I'm also squarely in the 125 Records demographic, so I decided to give the album a download (it's on emusic) and a spin.

Mr. D is actually a dude from Glasgow named Paul McLinden (formerly of the Gyres).  His sound is a little too close toward the "country" end of "country/rock" (more Sweetheart Of The Rodeo than Notorious Byrd Brothers) but it does remind me of Northern Britain-era TFC and some of their Scots contemporaries like Minibar and the Cosmic Rough Riders who mined the same Byrds/Burritos territory. Worth a download and a spin if you're into that sort of thing.

Why are there so many Glaswegian artists adapting the "California Sound"? Who knows?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know who B is, but it's cracking me up that someone is thinking of you as "negative and mean." Because, you know, those are probably at the bottom of the list of adjectives I'd use for you.

B said...

I don't _really_ think he's negative and mean. I just don't like to see Dusty picked on! And I know he doesn't really mean it!

Sue T. said...

I think the mysterious "B" is in the _ye _ye _lack_irds!

anyway, glad you downloaded the album... maybe we can start a small groundswell of D-mania here.

Anonymous said...

Forgive me, I'm slow. In fact, I just noticed that it's March 6 and I haven't changed my calendars from February yet. See!