Monday, November 5, 2007

My Date With Ikea

After my brother moved out last week, I suddenly found myself with half as much furniture and twice as much space that needed furniture. I also suddenly found myself without a desk and with two bookshelves worth of books and only one bookshelf to store them.

I needed to do something last weekend to rectify that situation. Enter the big blue box to the rescue. My brother and I bought identical bookcases at Ikea a few years ago, shortly after their first Bay Area store opened in Emeryville. A few years later, Ikea has opened a store in East Palo Alto, which is 4 miles further than Emeryville for me, but a much easier and less stressful drive, even with a $4 bridge toll.

I needed pick up another FLĂ„RKE (aka cheap particle board bookcase), and while checking its inventory online, I found a desk/workstation (HANNES) and chair (ALLAK) that I wanted, and verified that all the items were in stock in the East P.A. store in the colors I wanted before heading to the store. I arrived shortly after they opened the doors at 10am, shopping list in hand, found the row/bin locations of all three items, and managed to pick up everything (with a few extra items) in less than half an hour for a total cost of less than $100.

After loading the items in my car (and struggling to fit a desk, a chair, and a bookcase in a 2001 Acura Integra), I went back to the store for a mid-morning fika before heading back home. It may technically be possible to visit Ikea without buying a cinnamon roll, but it isn't something I've ever managed to do. Luckily I only visit Ikea once a year at most.

3 comments:

2fs said...

You mean Ikea actually not only had items in stock, but not frustratingly packed away on the high shelves, whence they refused to fetch them? Lucky you. Lucky also you didn't have to drive a couple hundred miles first.

Janet ID said...

I'll split the Ikea difference with you and FF. I fondly remember his rant on the topic alluded to in the above comment, but, while I can easily imagine these frustrations occurring in the caves of Ikea, I've never experienced such in my (20+ years already?) of annual-ish Ikea-treks. But Pittsburgh is a haul, and with stores there, near Detroit, and opening soon near Cincinnati, they will never ever put a store in the C-Bus, even though we have the perfect 90% vacant downtown shopping mall for them to take over.

Unknown said...

Kudos on the efficient shopping--I love when stuff like that happens.

I haven't been to an Ikea in years, but the one I used to go to is next to Newark Airport, and its cafe has scenic runway views!