Friday, October 26, 2007

Springsteenium

Last night, so I dropped by the Oracle to see the Boss.



His setlist was taken heavily from his latest album Magic, and their trademarked three-hour E Street Band concerts were scaled down to just over two hours. These are a bunch of guys in their 50s, so I'm not sure they have the stamina for three hour marathons anymore.

The last big arena show I saw was Springsteen and the E Street Band at the same venue eight years ago. Exactly eight years ago, because that show was on October 25, 1999. The only songs they played last night that they played at that show were "Born To Run" and "Thunder Road", which I think they play at every show.

I liked hearing the newer and lesser-known songs live, but Jim Harrington (Trib music critic) called the song selection "questionable" in the review on his blog. I thought it was a lot stronger than the 1999 "heavy on the hits" E St. Band show, but that's probably just me. I'm not a huge fan, but Bruce is still one of the best performers I've ever seen live!

Here's the latest installment in my Friday download series. In Bruce's honor, some covers of his tunes that I found today on the live music archive at archive.org. This is a invaluable source for old live concerts by artists that approve that sort of thing. And you'll be surprised who does!

The Arcade Fire cover isn't from archive.org, but I wanted to include it so I could link to this video of Bruce and the Arcade Fire doing "Keep The Car Running" earlier this month in Ottawa. I'm surprised he hasn't performed with the Hold Steady yet.. that seems like a match made in heaven.

Five Springsteen Covers
State Trooper - The Arcade Fire ( 2005)
Dancing In The Dark - Ted Leo (2002)
Janey Don't You Lose Heart - [the other] Scott Miller (2002)
Cadillac Ranch - Warren Zevon (1982)
Atlantic City - Warren Zevon (1999)

1 comment:

2fs said...

That link to "Cadillac Ranch" actually points to a version of "Excitable Boy" - featuring the most inappropriate, Van Halen-esque guitar soloing I've ever heard. Who played lead for Zevon on that tour? It's kinda ridiculous...