Sunday, July 15, 2007

Mas Mutantes

Today's Os Mutantes show at Stern Grove made me think of my favorite George W. Bush joke.

Advisor: Mr. President, I have some bad news. Two Brazilian soldiers were killed today in Baghdad.
GWB: That's terrible. (long pause) How many is a brazillion?


(answer=this many)

There were a brazillion people at the Stern Grove today. I arrived one hour early and found a prime spot on the hillside, because the meadow was already packed. The Grove has weekly concerts each summer (everything from Huey Lewis to the SF Ballet), and most of them are pretty full.

The cheer for Os Mutantes was nearly as loud as the cheer for the score of the Copa America final (Brazil 3, Argentina 0). The electricity cut out midway through the opening set my Los Amigos Invisibles, which caused a fifteen minute delay, but everything worked after that.

And the Mutantes set was a blast. My favorite part was the extended version of "Ando Meio Desilgado" (my favorite song of theirs), which included one verse in English, one verse in Portugese, and a long instrumental jam that incorporated the solos from "Stairway To Heaven" and "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". They played all my other favorites except "Bat Macumba", and it was strange to be in a huge crowd that knew all the songs.

As an added bonus, I didn't see Davendra Barnhart, or even anyone who looked like him.

No comments: