Monday, February 19, 2007

Broken bits of you and my window

Went to see the Smithereens last night at the Red Devil Lounge. I hadn't been to the Red Devil in a long time, and didn't realize what a tiny place it was. It's a tiny little hole (in every sense of the word) that was packed for the Smithereens. They were touring behind their Beatles tribute Meet the Smithereens, so the crowd was an interesting dynamic of older Beatle-geeks and younger (my age) 80s-geeks.

DiNizio lost his voice after the eighth song, so they started playing more of their quieter less vocally challenging songs ("In a Lonely Place", "Cigarette", "Especially For You") which also tend to be my favorites, as well as letting Jim Babjak and Dennis Diken take turns as George and Ringo on "Don't Bother Me" and "I Wanna Be Your Man" during the Meet The Beatles interlude. They said they hadn't played SF since 1992, and I hadn't seen them since way back in the 1980s.

Unfortunately, I was parked on a busy street (Van Ness) , and some idiot broke the side window on my car. They didn't take anything, didn't even break in, just smashed the side window to smithereens in a senseless act of vandalism. And I just raised my insurance deductible, so I'll have to replace it myself. But they can't replace it today because it's a holiday. Senseless vandalism sucks!

Between the theft and the vandalism and the traffic and $4 bridge tolls and parking tickets, I've pretty much decided to stop driving to SF for awhile. Like Garry Templeton once said, "If I ain't BARTin', I ain't departin' "

2 comments:

flasshe said...

Sorry about your car window! I think you need to move to a safer city, like somewhere in the midwest.

uiigfph! uiigfph!

Unknown said...

Sorry about the car, dude.