Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Hearts Of Oak

I forgot to post an album yesterday with the rainstorm, so I'll need to post two albums today to get caught up..



Ted Leo is one of the names on my shortlist for artist of the 2000s. I'd put Ted's four albums (and three EPs) up against anyone's output over this decade, with 2003's Hearts Of Oak as the pick of the batch.

Hearts Of Oak is a good example of putting old things together in new ways. There's a variety of under-utilized influences, from Thin Lizzy to the Specials to Dexy's Midnight Runners, all thrown together into a Celtic punk-funk-pop hybrid that sounds unlike anything else.

Here's a solo version of "The High Party", one of the many standout tracks on the album, but this solo version (featured on the companion Tell Balgeary EP) is even better than the full band Hearts Of Oak.

1 comment:

B said...

I hadn't listened to this record in awhile, but I put it on the other day and there's no doubt it's a classic! I really miss the full Pharmacists line-up -- the extra guitar, violin and keyboard parts brought a lot to the party. I haven't really had the same love for anything he's done since.
The GAMH show on the Hearts tour was epic -- one of my favorites.