Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Coast Is Never Clear



Pimping more of my Bay Area homies! From later in 2001, here's The Coast Is Never Clear by Beulah, another album of my decade.

This album was delayed due to label issues (Beulah's label folded and was reformed under a different name) and it ended up being released on 9/11/01. An unfortunate day to put out an album (even though Dylan's Love & Theft also came out on 9/11), but multiple plays of The Coast Is Never Clear was my best way of dealing with the post-9/11 malaise.

Here's a live version of my favorite song off the album, "Gravity's Bringing Us Down". Notice Miles Kurowsky's Big Star t-shirt!



Both Beulah and the Orange Peels had songs end up in Target commercials, proving that Target is infinitely cooler than Wal-Mart.

2 comments:

B said...

I never get tired of this record --brilliant lyrics, fantastic sounds. The quintessential California record for the 00's? Shiny surfaces and hooks with cynical, razor sharp lyrics. Very self aware, but joyful, too. I really miss Beulah.

Unknown said...

I am missing my copy, don't know where it went, but this was one of my favorite CDs during late 2001/early 2002. Good call.