Monday, July 27, 2009

Everyone's Gonna Wonder

Everyone probably isn't gonna wonder how I'm going to finish this month of NZ music, but I've decided how to do it. One NZ song for each decade from the 1960's thru the 2000's, Monday thru Friday, starting today with the 60's.

Here are the Avengers (60's NZ band, not to be confused with the SF punk band or the TV show or the comic) with their 1967 debut single "Everyone's Gonna Wonder".



I learned about this song when it was covered by David Kilgour and Martin Phillips on the Pop Art Toasters EP in the mid 90's. I was such a died in the wool Kiwi completist back then that I would have payed import prices for an EP of "Yodeling Favourites By David Kilgour and Martin Phillips", but the idea of them covering obscure 60s covers is even better. Dave & Martin also covered songs by another NZ band called the Dovers, US bands like the Squires the West Coast Pop Experimental Band, and some obscure British band called "The Who", but the pick of the batch is "Everyone's Gonna Wonder". That song is like two and a half minutes of everything I love about music!

No comments: