Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Interbabe Concern

Is this the ugliest album cover ever? I think it might be.



The Tape Of Only Linda Loud Family lineup slowly disintegrated after the album and tour with three bandmembers leaving for different reasons. Bassist Rob Poor moved to Boston, guitarist Zach Smith left due to musical and personal "differences", and drummer Joe Becker left to become a Dad. This left Scott and Paul standing as "The Loud Family", and a series of help wanteds to the loud-fans list asking for a new bassist and drummer.

Scott Miller was also going through an upheval in his personal life, so work started on the next Loud Family album Interbabe Concern with uncertainty on many different levels. He began recording the basic tracks Interbabe on ADAT at his house, with help from Paul Weineke or new bassist Kenny Kessel (who replaced Rob Poor), which gives every song a layer of unhinged naked emotion.

Drum tracks were added later, usually at a "real" studio, but without diluting the original tracks. And the rawness of the recording is enhanced by the digital sound, where all the vocals are front and center, complete with warts and blemishes. "Everything in this album is on purpose".

When I did a facebook listing of the albums that changed my life, Interbabe Concern was near the top, because it's one of a handful of albums that I can't imagine living without. I have a deep relationship with this album, and am still profoundly affected with every listen. Both the best (glenn McDonald's two part dissection in TWAS) and worst (Mark Deming's 2.5 star dismissal in AMG) album reviews I've ever read were reviews of Interbabe Concern, and I named my blog after a minor space filler on the album ("Hot Rox Avec Lying Sweet Talk").

In short, I think Interbabe is an important album, but it's hard to summarize what it means to me in just a few short paragraphs. Here's the video for "Don't Respond, She Can Tell".



A great song with a cool (but confusing) video, and I'm even in it
(for about half a millisecond).

1 comment:

B said...

I think it's the greatest album ever made. It was a real life-changer for me, too, and I never fail to be deeply affected by listening to it. And like you, I have a hard time imagining how i'd capture all that in a paragraph!
Anyhow. Best album ever.