Saturday, May 30, 2009

A documentary on White Music

Wrapping up XTC month with their first album White Music.



I more or less agree with this reviewer (with the exception of liking their cover of "All Along The Watchtower"). XTC's early singles like "Statue of Liberty", "This Is Pop?", and "Science Friction" (which wasn't on White Music but is on the reissued CD) showed that they were a cut above the rest of the British new wave out of the gate, but there's a big drop off between those three singles and the other tracks. Still, the level of energy and excitement stays constant through the entire album, which was recorded live in about as much time as it takes to listen to it. Their second album took even longer.

The original working title for this album was Black Music, but which was rejected by Virgin as it was thought the title might suggest a blues or soul album. This reminds me of this movie scene from the same year as White Music.



Ruttling Orange Peel: Yes Sir, I originated XTC, they got it all from me. Every single bit of it.
Narrator: Well, how do you mean?
Ruttling Orange Peel: Well Sir, they come here and they took everything I ever written. Those four guys from Swindon came here.
Mrs Peel: He's lying!
Ruttling Orange Peel: I ain't lying!
Mrs Peel: He's always lying!
Ruttling Orange Peel: I ain't lying!
Mrs Peel: Everytime there's a documentary on white music around here he claims he started it all.
Ruttling Orange Peel: I did, I did, I did!
Mrs Peel: Last week he claimed he started Everly Brothers, Frank Sinatra and Lawrence Welk. He's always lying!

No comments: