Friday, March 13, 2009

Eye



Both of the Robyn Hitchcock concerts I saw last year, his April show at the Fillmore (opening for Nick Lowe) and his November show at the Great American Music Hall were mostly dedicated to single albums. The April show was dedicated to Eye and the November show was dedicated to I Often Dream Of Trains.

I prefer IODOT as an album, but I liked the Eye concert more as a show. This was Robyn Hitchcock's "San Francisco album", arising mostly as a reaction to his previous one Queen Elvis.

Instead of recording with his entire band in a big studio for a major label, Robyn scaled everything down and recorded everything by himself in a small studio for an independent later, and achieved results that were closer to what he's about. Eye is certainly clickot, cool, and everything else!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I cherish this record--I am struggling with that stupid Facebook "Albums that changed my life" meme (struggling because it's so hard to narrow it down, and to capture these things in words), but if I ever finish it, EYE will be in the upper reaches. It made a huge impression on me--the combination of intimacy and sincerity and weirdness encapsulates everything I love about Robyn and everything that I believe to be worthwhile in songwriting.