Saturday, January 17, 2009

NaJuReMoNoMo


This January is the fourth annual National Just Read More Novels Month (NaJuReMoNoMo), so I'm trying to find a novel to read. Unfortunately, I started reading Rick Perlstein's Nixonland after the holidays, a study of the Nixon years which is (a) over 900 pages long and (b) not a novel.

Since I'm a serial reader (in the sense that I can only read one book at a time), I need to finish Nixonland before starting my novel. And once I start a book, I have to finish it, no matter how long it takes to read. At 900 pages, I have to average 30 pages per day to read the whole book in a month, and that's about what I'm averaging so far.

It's January 18th, and my bookmark is just over halfway through the book (page 476, chapter 23) and I've still got more than 400 pages of Nixonland to go. This should hold me over until the end of January (hopefully a few days earlier, because it's due back at the library on the 28th), so I might need to pust NaJuReNoMo until February. C'est la vie, c'est pas grave.

No comments: