Sunday, November 2, 2008

The day after Halloween



The opening track on one of my recent holiday mix CDs is "Can't Wait Til Christmas Day" by Vince Vance & the Valiants, which has a line about stores putting up holiday decorations on the day after Halloween. Even after I found out that Vince Vance is responsible for both "All I Want For Christmas Is You" and that "Bomb Iran" song that John McCain likes so much, I still like "Can't Wait Til Christmas Day". It puts me in the holiday mood more than any other song. And stores actually do put up decorations on the day after Halloween.

I was at Rite-Aid yesterday morning (November 1st), and they had their Christmas cards and decorations out, and were already playing retail-friendly holiday songs in the store.

It's also the day that Peet's and Starbucks start offering eggnog latte (I'm a big fan of eggnog latte and think it should be available all year), so I guess the start of November is the start of the holiday season. Take it away, Andy!



This is the last day that we'll hear those seven fateful words ("the following is a paid political announcement"), but it's just the start of "whoop de do, and dickory dock, and don't forget to hang up your sock". Thirty days of November and twenty four days of December equals seven and a half weeks of Christmas music, which is probably a few more weeks than any sane person can handle. And maybe even more than an insane person like me can handle.

No comments: