Monday, September 1, 2008

Beware the savage jaw



For this week's installment of Music: What Happened, Scott Miller tackles 1984, one of my favorite musical years (at least among those I experienced firsthand). I uploaded a ten track playlist on 8tracks.com(*) to play along at home.

Beware The Savage Jaw (Of 1984)
1. "Seven Seas" - Echo and the Bunnymen
2. "Fell From the Sun" - Clay Allison
3. "Seven Chinese Brothers" - R.E.M.
4. "Something Came Over Me" - Chris Stamey
5. "Darby Hall" - The dB's
6. "The Hero Takes a Fall" - Bangles
7. "This Could Be the Day" - Robyn Hitchcock
8. "Grey Scale" - Let's Active
9. "Boys Of Summer - Don Henley
10. "Answering Machine" - The Replacements



(*)-The service is called 8tracks.com, but eight tracks is just the minimum number per mix. You can choose as many as you want, so long as there's no more than two by the same artist.  

Scott's selections are really strong, with a couple of exceptions ("Do They Know It's Christmas?" -- seriously, wtf. -- and I like Christmas music!)  and would make a great mix-disc.  I like that he chose B-sides (now non-LP bonus tracks) by Let's Active and the dB's, and non-hits like "The Beautiful Ones" (one of the only songs off Purple Rain that wasn't a hit).   I don't have that on CD/mp3, so I couldn't include it, and I don't have "Reel Around The Fountain" either.  My digital titles for Prince and the Smiths don't have much beyond their obvious singles compilations, but if they did, this playlist would include both of those tracks.  

No comments: