Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The magiq's in the musiq

Has anyone else taken emusic's Music Intelligence Quiz?

My final score was 168/180  which qualifies me as a "Musical Magician".   
Musical Magician (145-180 points)
We doff our collective hat to your prodigious mind. You are a musical czar, with a profound knowledge of every genre and era. You met your current flame at a concert and, come to think of it, most of your friends too. You're always looking for the chance to pass on recommendations, knowing that if any of your disciples buy your suggestion it will change their lives the same way it has yours. Your love of music is genuine and deep and you match that passion with intellect. Because of that – let's face it – you're also the person that some folks love to hate. But who cares? Let's see their record collection! At this point, one can only take advantage of new ways to discover music and brush up on any obscure genres one might have missed.

Cool.. Where's my wizard's hat?  Their questions are pretty basic and simple, so anyone reading this could be a "musical musician", even without cheating. Questions like "how many symphonies did Beethoven compose?" are almost the musical equivalent of "who's buried in Grant's tomb?". You figure it has to be a trick question. One of the two questions I whiffed on was the one about Coldplay. Who cares what their song "Yellow" is about? I the hell sure don't.

But if you get every question correct, I think the message should say something like "Nice job, Mr/Ms 'Lookup the answers in another browser tab while taking the quiz'. You're a regular Cheaty McGooglepedia!"

10 comments:

Joe said...

I got a 171/180. How the hell is that possible?

Steve said...

with 30 questions and 180 points, you should get some multiple of 6 unless there's some half-credit awarded for getting a question "almost right".

Unknown said...

Well, I am disappointed that I only got 141, making me a "Mix-Tape Master."

2fs said...

144. And I'm proud to say I got the Coldplay one wrong. There were one or two others I couldn't care less about - but a couple I should have known.

Anonymous said...

I'm a mix-tape master, with 140-something. That can't be right... you're the mix-tape master!

Sue T. said...

147/180, so I just squeaked into the Musical Magician category. Like 2fs, I missed the Coldplay question. Also, who the heck knows Ryan Adams' real first name?

Steve said...

I know the Coldplay song "Yellow", but don't know the lyrics enough to know what it's about. And I lucked in to the Ryan Adams one.

I should have gotten a few more questions wrong to be a mix-tape master.

Unknown said...

Hang on--are the answers posted somewhere? Cuz I'm still not sure what I got wrong, or what "Yellow" is about.

Steve said...

When you submit the answers, the results tell you which questions you got wrong, and what the answers are.

The song "Yellow" is apparently about the yellow pages, but I don't see that by scanning the lyrics. It just reads like a song about nothing.

Anonymous said...

I got the Ryan Adams and Coldplay questions wrong, which I would argue constitutes a truly perfect score. :)