Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Throwing the California Primary

From the California Progress Report
California voter interest in this election is at what they call a “historical high,” which they attribute to the earlier California primary date, an unusually large field of candidates, and the fact that this is the first year since 1952 that no incumbent president or vice-president is in the running. Other factors cited are the ease of voting by mail, which a record number will use to cast ballots, and the ability of independents to vote in the Democratic portion of the primary by asking for a Democratic ballot.
I was one of the independent voters who asked for a Democratic ballot in this primary, mostly so I could cast a vote against Hillary.  I won't be able to do that in October when she's running against John Mc Cain or someone (strike that. it looks like McCain has the Republican nomination all but locked up). I'm still hoping for an Obama miracle on the Democratic, but I'll probably still vote for Clinton over any of the Repubs.

I was also one of the California citizens who voted by mail. I live in a district with fewer than 3500 voters on a strip of unincorporated homes between two cities, so we can't vote for any citywide offices or ordinances. I don't know if I've ever bothered to vote in a primary before, since it usually doesn't matter, but this year our primary is in early Feb, when it does still matter.

Of the state ordinances, I voted for the Indian gaming ordinances (more money in the State budget that doesn't come out of my pocket? Sign me up!) and against everything else. I don't think I'll get a lot of use out of the "politics" label in this blog, even if 2008 is an election year, but things are about to start getting interesting!  

Speaking of "interesting",what happened to Ron Paul? Has he dropped out already?

1 comment:

2fs said...

I don't think an Obama victory would be a "miracle": it's 10:30 Central on "Super Tuesday," and he's holding his own. He's by no means out yet.

Ron Paul's still running, as far as i know. A friend of mine predicted he'd win Alaska...at least partly tongue in cheek...