Saturday, February 23, 2008

Rainy Day Rendang


It's been raining on and off all day, so I've been staying in and cooking rendang daging (a Malaysian beef stew simmered in coconut milk). It's kind of involved to make it, but the rewards are well worth the work.  

The first rendang recipe I found online was courtesy of my Canadian alter-ego Spicy Steve. Spicy Steve is the host of a Canadian cooking show, highlighting Southeast Asian cuisine. It looks like he ripped off some of my recipes as well as my first name!

Anyway, Spicy Steve's recipe for danging rendang is here. I modified it slightly because I don't have fresh galangal, kaffa lime leaves, or screwpine leaves (screwpine leaves?). I added red thai curry paste, which is the lazy Asian cook's secret weapon. It's like culinary duct tape. The preparation is the same.

Rainy Day Rendang

1 lb stew beef (aka cheap chuck)
5 Tbsp grated coconut, roasted in oven and ground.
2 Tbsp vegetable oil for cooking
1 14 oz can coconut milk
3 tablespoons Thai Curry Paste.

Method:

1. Heat oil in wok. Gently fry curry paste.
2. Add beef and stir fry for a few minutes.
3. Add coconut milk and bring to a simmer.
4. Put in a crockpot and cook on low all day.

Serve with either plain rice or nasi lemak. Tradition dictates the latter. Beef cooked in coconut milk served over rice cooked in coconut milk. You can't get any more decadent than that. Actually you can. Spicy food matches well with a carbonated malt beverage that the Malays call "bir". Maybe you've heard of it? Beef cooked in coconut milk served over rice cooked in coconut milk washed down with a couple of cold ones. You cannot get any more decadent than that!

This dish has a wonderful aroma. It's only 4:30pm, and I'm all ready for dinner!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds really good. I'll have to give it a try.