Sunday, February 3, 2008

La bruja es muerte



I didn't really have a horse in this year's Super Bowl between two Eastern teams, so I found myself cheering for whatever team was on offense. When the Patriots scored to take the lead, I was glad that they'd finally shut up the 1972 Dolphins. And when the Giants started driving the ball, I was cheering for them to finally shut up the 2007 Patriots and their fans. When Eli hit Burress on the TD pass at the end, I was like "oh yeah!" and "oh no!" at the same time. At the end, I'm mostly glad that the Pats lost, even if it does mean cheering for a team from New Jersey. It was kind of a dull Super Bowl until the 4th Quarter, but ended up being kind of exciting.

My favorite commercials were the eTrade ones with the baby. There seemed to be a lot of Budweiser commercials. Do people still drink that stuff? I correctly guessed which songs Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers would play during their halftime show. I thought they would play "American Girl" and a couple of songs from Full Moon Fever. They ended up playing "American Girl" and three songs from FMF: "I Won't Back Down", "Free Fallin'", and "Runnin' Down A Dream". Is that album still that popular with the masses?

Just eleven days until pitchers and catchers report for Spring Training!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really, you thought the game was dull before the fourth? I was on the edge of my seat the whole time - but then, I had a dog in the race (Pats, bow-wow) so it figures I would be more gripped.

And yes, according to the recent Tom Petty documentary Running Down a Dream (which I highly recommend), Full Moon Fever is his best-selling album.

Anonymous said...

I'll ignore your New Jersey comment to say this about Tom Petty: I will always feel loyal to TP, but I was surprised that he was chosen as the SuperBowl halftime entertainment. Do the young folks even know who Tom Petty is?

Steve said...

After the '04 "wardrobe malfunction", the last few halftime performers at the Super Bowl (Macca, the Stones, and Prince) haven't been made for any appeal with the young folks. It's all for the older folks.

I thought the first quarter was pretty good with the up and back, but the middle two quarters kind of dragged. The final five minutes more than made up for the first 55 though.

B said...

I'm really praying for an ELO halftime show.
I thought TP was great. Is Mike Campbell the only white dude who can pull off dreadlocks?