Saturday, January 26, 2008

The rock album meme is a mighty good meme

Since almost everyone else on my RSS list is contributing to the Foma* rock album meme, so I thought I'd play as well.

1. Pick a band name by visiting a random Wikipedia page.

My band name is Systemic Constellations

2. Pick an album name by going to this random quote page. Take the LAST quote on the page and select the last four words of that quote.

My full quote is..
As a scientist, I am not sure anymore that life can be reduced to a class struggle, to dialectical materialism, or any set of formulas. Life is spontaneous and it is unpredictable, it is magical. I think that we have struggled so hard with the tangible that we have forgotten the intangible.
Diane Frolov and Andrew Schneider,
Northern Exposure, Zarya, 1994.

The last four words are "have forgotten The intangible". So this is one of those albums where the title completes a sentence with the artist name as its subject. (Barenaked Ladies Are Me, etc.). Or in this case Systemic Constellations Have Forgotten the Intangible

3. The album cover art is the THIRD image on the random Flickr page.

Here is my image. Another copyrighted photo of a beluga from the Vancouver Auditorium. I decided to use a script font similar to the copyright notice (Brush Script MT) for my artist and album name.



Frank Viola! So long, and thanks for all the fish.

2 comments:

yellojkt said...

That is a great looking cover and a very trippy title. But 2fs hates that Brushed Script font. I'm not sure why, but he does.

2fs said...

It's just a good thing I'm not King of the Fonts, then.

Anyway: Steve's font is Kunstler or Palace Script or something similar; yours is Brush Script MT or the like. The problem with any font included in Windows or Mac basic fonts is simply that they're so common that they're robbed of character. Brush Script in particular looks to me like a generic advertising script font.

Anyway, that's just my cranky old opinion - I figure if I see a font all over the place, that means it's either generic, or very trendy at the moment (like French Script about ten years ago), and so I'd rather use something else. There are loads of free font downloads, so there you are.

If you want to see something funny, get in the same room with a designer and say something nice about Comic Sans...