Thursday, January 31, 2008

All Hail Chicken Rice

I've now been posting to this blog daily for the last three months, from October 30th until now. And even though some of my posts are fairly substance-free (some youtube links and an entire month of Christmas songs), I've never had to resort to posting recipes. At least until now.  

Here is my recipe for Hainanese Chicken Rice (or "chicken rice as they call it in Southeast Asia -- sorry vegetarians!). This was one of the regular dishes at my high school cafeteria in Singapore, and I think it's one of nature's most perfect foods. It only has five ingredients (chicken, ginger, garlic, rice, and water) not counting spices, but these five ingredients make a magical combination.

Chicken Rice is an institution in Singapore and Malaysia. There have even been movies made about it! Every coffee shop and hawker stall in those countries has its own variety, but it's pretty easy to make yourself.   I make it myself a couple of times a month. Stewing rice in water and chicken fat isn't super-healthy, but it sure is yummy. Plus it's easy to make in the crockpot, which is perfect for my busy lifestyle. Here's the way I do it.

Chicken Rice

Dark chicken parts (I usually use thighs)
1 large hunk ginger, minced and sliced
Many cloves of garlic
1 tsp salt
4 cups water

Method:

- Stuff chicken with salt, ginger and garlic. Put in a high crockpot with enough water to cover and set on medium for 8-9 hours (morning til night). Ideally the water should never boil, but nicely stew the chicken thighs.

- After you get home, remove chicken and retain stock for making rice. Heat 1 tbsp oil over high heat. Add minced garlic and ginger and fry till fragrant. Add grains of rice and stir fry until they change color (2-3 minutes) then add two cups of stock to cover and cook the rice.

- Serve with more minced ginger and garlic (ginger and garlic are good) and sweet chile sauce or sambal oelek. Enak sekali!

3 comments:

Janet ID said...

I've never had to resort to posting recipes.

Hey, some of my favorite blogs are recipe blogs. Check out my homegirl Heather's gorgeous work, for instance.

flasshe said...

This looks good - I'll have to try it. Could you please elaborate on the "stuff chicken" step? I thought that only works with whole chickens, but you specify "dark chicken parts" in the ingredients.

I'm such a cooking wienie.

Steve said...

"Stuff chicken" in the context of thighs means to put slices of garlic and ginger under the skin to infuse the meat.