Saturday, January 5, 2008

2007: Read It In Books

This January is National Just Read More Novels Month (NaJuReMoNoMo -- all monthly internet memes sound like the company that patented MSG). I wonder if the "National" designation means U.S.A. only? To participate, All you have to do is read a novel from start to finish within the month of January.

I usually read non-fiction books, since I prefer to read about stuff that actually happened, but I'm sure I can find one novel to read this month. I think Tom Perrotta's The Abstinence Teacher comes out in paperback. That's a novel I want to read, and haven't been able to find at the library yet. I don't like to buy books, so usually end up reading what's available at the library since I can't be bothered to reserve things I want.

Every two weeks or so, I go to the library (city or county) and find a book that looks interesting. I only check out one book at a time, and when I'm done reading it, I return it and check another book out. Sue said that she read 59 books last year. I haven't kept track, but I think I read somewhere around 24 (two books per month on average). Commuting on BART gives me two hours of reading time every weekday. Here were ten of my favorites from last year.

Stephen T. Asma - The Gods Drink Whiskey
A study of Theravadan Buddhism masquerading as a Southeast Asian travelogue.

David Barker - 33 1/3 Greatest Hits (Volumes 1 & 2)
These are selections from each of the 33 1/3 books about albums. Literary mix tapes.

John Feinstein - Tales From Q School
I'm a big fan of Feinstein as a sportswriter, and this book about the strains and perils "Q School" (PGA Tour Qualifying) was one of the best things he's written.

Franklin Foer - How Soccer Explains The World
I've become really interested in the sociology of soccer (football) over the last couple of years, and Foer explains the sociology better than any of them.

Ken Jennings - Brainiac
Inside the world of competitive trivia challenges. These people are pedantic turbogeeks.

Ed Jones - Northern Soul
Not about northern sould, but how Wigan Athletic made it to the Premier League. I thought it was fascinating, and read the whole thing on the plane from London to S.F.

Rob Jovanovic - Big Star: The Story of Rock's Forgotten Band
Writing a whole book about Big Star is tough because there isn't a lot of information out there. Writing one without Alex Chilton's cooperation is almost impossible.

Michael Lewis - The Blind Side
Moneyball author Michael Lewis branches into football for this exploration of the value and importance of the left tackle position (the blind side of a right-handed QB).

Alan Schwarz - The Numbers Game
Another baseball book, explaining the importance that numbers (statistics) have had in baseball since the game was invented.

Rob Sheffield - Love Is A Mix Tape
Rolling Stone editor Sheffield writes a story about his late wife Renee through a series of mix tapes that they sent each other. I don't care for Sheffield as a reviewer (his taste or his attitude), but liked his book quite a bit. Just stay away from the audiobook version. Rob has a nasally "rock critic" voice that kind of grates.

I think that's ten. One of my goals for 2008 is to make more use of the 'books' tag in my blog.
Onward to NaJuReMoNoMo.

No comments: