Monday, December 3, 2007

The third day of Hot Roxmas

The one song from my holiday compilations that's got the most feedback is Culturcide's "Santa Claus Was My Lover". Culturcide were/are an experimental noise band from Houston, famous for singing their own satirical lyrics over other people's songs without permission. Usually by just singing over the record. This has gained them a cult following as well as some legal issues over the years.

"Santa Claus Was My Lover" grafts their holiday themed lyrics to the music from a well known early 80s hit by a man with one glove. There isn't a lot of info on this single (label or release date), and I acquired the song on a mix from someone. I later found a Culturcide cd (similarly bereft of label or release info) with "Santa Claus", its B-side "Depressed Christmas", and some of their other creations like "We're An Industrial Band" and "California Punks".

"Santa Claus Was My Lover" is one of a kind weirdness even for Culturcide. This tale of a romantic encounter with St. Nick sung over an MJ song ("I can handle the beard, but the reindeer was too weird") should be required listening for everyone each December.


Culturcide - Santa Claus Was My Lover
(mp3 from divshare)

1 comment:

2fs said...

Thanks for digitizing some of these classic cassette-only Mixmaster gems. This one's definitely a good choice - "the reindeer was too weird" for the singer...but you get the feeling, not necessarily for the original's singer.