Monday, October 15, 2007

Chipotlicize Me

My current fast food fetish is the Jack In The Box Chipotle Chicken Ciabatta sandwich. I like the alliteration of saying "Chipotle Chicken Ciabatta", so I always order it by name instead of just asking for a "number 12" or whatever it is.

JITB also has a Chipotle Breakfast Burrito, Carl's Jr. has a Chipotle Chicken Salad, and McDonald's has a Chipotle Snack Wrap. The chipotle fad is in full swing and shows no signs of abating, even without Chipotle itself.

I had to travel all the way to Great Britain to discover that the classic taqueria burrito (wrapped in foil, eaten with two hands, and now global thanks to places like Chipotle and Baja Fresh) is called a "San Francisco Burrito" outside the S.F. Bay Area.

I've lived here for the past 20 years and last week was the first time I'd heard of San Francisco Burritos. I guess it's better than being known for Rice-A-Roni.

3 comments:

Sue T. said...

When I lived in Baltimore there was a burrito place called Frisco Burrito.

2fs said...

I'm somewhat dubious about place names used to describe things... The best example I can think of is the beer called "Milwaukee's Best" (I forget who brewed it): it was anything but, and in fact it wasn't even sold in Milwaukee (where we would have laughed at it).

Steve said...

Milwaukee's Best is Miller's economy beer (aka Miller Low Life). I think it might still be sold.

Naming burritos after S.F. kind of makes sense, because there are tons of taquerias in the Mission.