Thursday, October 18, 2007

Chasing Rainbows

The top ten tracks from last.fm last week
(click the graphic for the full size list)


Yes, it's all ten tracks from Radiohead's In Rainbows, in sequence. Interesting how every song has a few thousand fewer plays (and listeners) than the one before it. Each track averages about four plays per listener, so lots of listeners played the songs multiple times. The least-played song from In Rainbows ("Videotape") had four times as many plays as last.fm's #11 song from last week ("Stronger" by Kanye West). Radiohead was also the most played artist on last.fm over the Beatles (the most played artist every week on last.fm!).

I played In Rainbows twice last week, but only one of the plays was "scrobbled" on last.fm, so I was behind the norm. I've played it twice this week, so I'm up to my requisite four plays, and still don't know what to make of the album. I like it more than Hail To The Thief, but it's no O.K. Computer. I'll be interested in seeing how this plays out on the last.fm charts this week and the weeks to follow. Maybe In Rainbows will become the internet version of Dark Side of the Moon, staying on the charts for 494 weeks straight?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Huh. I have yet to listen to the album in order, but I've had it in shuffles and heard most songs 3-4 times. I'm pretty sure I think the strongest song is Videotape and the weakest (the least rockingest, anyway) is 15 Step. I'll be doing what I can to flatten that curve.

Anonymous said...

Just to confuse matters, I think "15 Step" and "Videoape" are the two best songs on the [album? record? collection?]. They are definitely the ones I've listened to the most, but at home, away from the scrobblin' eyes of Last.fm.

Steve said...

I think most of the last.fm people are playing In Rainbows in order, so the popularity based on track number is just due to listener attrition. "Videotape" probably is the most rockingest thing on the [album? record? collection?].

Radiohead has always been an album artist for me, so when I listen to their records, it's usually start to finish. I even check the iTunes box so their songs don't turn up in shuffle play.