Monday, August 13, 2007

Watching us all in the eye of the Tiger


For the last ten years on the PGA Tour there have been two types of major championships: majors that Tiger Woods doesn't win, and majors that he wins. The ones that he doesn't win tend to be more exciting because there are usually a lot of players in the hunt and everything goes down to the wire. The ones that he wins are kind of boring, because when Tiger has his game working, there isn't anyone who can compete with him, so he usually wins going away.

Last week's PGA Championship was one of the majors that Tiger wins. Golf isn't like tennis where the best player always wins. There isn't a big spread in the skill level, so whoever's hitting the best and making the putts that week has the best shot. Tiger Woods has won 13 of the 44 major championships of his professional career, which amounts to a .295 winning average. That's Barry Bonds lifetime batting average, and about as dominant as anyone has ever been over any ten year period in the history of golf.

In my inter-sibling major championship battle with my brother, I finally managed to get the better of him. The PGA was my turn to pick Tiger, so I picked the winner, but I also picked the second and third place finishers (Woody Austin and Ernie Els). I should have dropped some real money when I was in Reno last weekend!


We have Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07 on our Wii in the break room at work, and it's nice to have a video game that I can beat everyone at. Wii golf requires the same touch as regular golf, except I'm a lot better at it. I'd like to play against Tiger -- he's probably one of those uber-competitive players that throws his controller when he hits it in the trees!

No comments: