Saturday, June 2, 2007

Salt N Pepa Knew My Father

As I promised yesterday, here are selections from the other side of NME's Sgt. Pepper Knew My Father. Three Wize Men also do the "Sgt. Pepper's" reprise, so I'm skipping that, and I'm not that fond of Michelle Shocked's "Lovely Rita" (or Michelle Shocked in general) so I'm replacing it with the Nields version from their 1997 reissue of Gotta Get Over Greta.

Sonic Youth - Within You, Without You
Courtney Pine Quartet - When I'm Sixty Four
The Nields - Lovely Rita
The Triffids - Good Morning, Good Morning
The Fall - A Day In The Life

Isn't it ironic that Sir Paul wrote a song forty years ago when he was 24 about when he'd be 64 spending summers renting a cottage on the Isle of Wight with grandkids on his knee, and now when he is 64 (going on 65), he's getting ready to promote new album which makes him too busy to do a nostalgia tour for a record his former band made forty years ago?

No comments: