Sunday, June 17, 2007

An Open and shut competition

My battle with my brother for U.S. Open selection supremacy is over, and the results aren't pretty!


A regular tail kicking! Six of my ten picks didn't even make the cut, and my brother ended up with twice as many points, and chose the eventual winner. It wasn't even as close as our regular golf games!

As major championships go, the U.S. Open is like running a marathon, up a hill, in a rainstorm, while carrying a a refrigerator on your back. The USGA likes to trick up the courses by adding length, mowing and rolling the fairways and greens until they're as hard and fast as the Pennsylvania turnpike, and letting the rough around the greens grow long. It's more a test of survival than golfing skill. The winner is usually the player that makes the fewest mistakes. And I made a lot of mistakes with my Open picks.

One of the best blog headlines ever on Athletics Nation:
"We had righteous grass until the Police showed up!"

No comments: