Tuesday, March 6, 2007

W32.Rinbot.A


I've been late with the blog entries this week because our office network got infected with the Rinbot virus over the weekend. The last two days at work have been a series of scan, quarantine, delete, rescan, reboot, repeats.
The virus comes cloaked as an update to your anti-virus software, so whenever you try to delete it, big brother pushes another rinbot at you. It's hit a lot of big companies over the past week, and seems to be designed to build a virtual "bot-net" to launch DoS attacks against the virus vendor (who's name rhymes with mimantec). At least my home computer still works!
iPod Update: I had to update my iTunes to version 7 to work with my new iPod, which I really didn't want to do since lots of people have been having issues with iTunes7. The "Get Album Artwork" feature is nice, but it only works for albums that are available at Apple's Music Store, which less than 50% of my library is. And I'm not sure what "gapless playback" is, but it causes a bunch of problems, and it's a pain to disable. But my fifth generation iPod supports it, so I guess I'm obligated to turn it on..

3 comments:

Sue T. said...

Gapless playback, I believe, means that there aren't any breaks between the songs, which is actually really great for live albums or songs that segue into each other.

Steve said...

In case anyone is interested, the virus was actually W32.Rinbot.D which was just discovered yesterday..

2fs said...

I don't know about on an iPod - but on iTunes to disable gapless playback you simply select the song (or group of songs) and uncheck "gapless playback." But Our Goddess of 125 is correct: it's invaluable with albums whose tracks segue. For 'puter-based iTuneses, it works when you burn a CD too (or so it would seem).

FWIW, I've had no trouble on any of those computers with iTunes 7.