Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Valentine's Day Mix Tape

Probably the most popular Valentine's Day gift after flowers and candy is the mix tape. Or mix CD, but compact discs are a lot less personal than old-fashioned cassettes, collected with favorite songs from various sources.

Here's a 14 song virtual Valentine's Day mix tape, split into two seven song sides. These are either songs I've recently posted here or deep links to other places on the internet. Side A is mostly my stuff and side B is mostly linked elsewhere. I had to end with "Whole Wide World", because that's one of my personal theme songs. My jam, as the kids say.

Side A:
  1. Baby Lemonade - How Deep Is Your Love?(Bee Gees cover)
  2. The Chevelles - Lost in Love(Air Supply cover)
  3. Marshall Crenshaw - Cynical Girl
  4. The dB's - Big Brown Eyes
  5. Donovan - Wear Your Love Like Heaven
  6. Flying Color - I'm Your Shadow
  7. House Of Love - I Don't Know Why I Love You
Side B:
  1. Jennifer Gentle - I Do Dream You
  2. Nada Surf - Always Love
  3. Rogue Wave - Every Moment
  4. Todd Rundgren - I Saw The Light
  5. Teenage Fanclub - Your Love Is The Place I Come From
  6. Tracey Ullman - They Don't Know
  7. Wreckless Eric - Whole Wide World

3 comments:

2fs said...

Nice mix...but how on earth is a CD "less personal" than a mix tape? I mean, hey, you could leave secret love notes for your valentine in the CD-TEXT area - or include artwork, etc.

Granted, you can't take a CD, smash it on the ground, unspool the tape, and insist that your partner wear only the tape as a costume...not that I've ever done that or anything...

Steve said...

A CD is less personal than a mix tape in the same way that an email is less personal than a hand-written note.

When you burn a CD, you don't even have to listen to the songs -- just rip, sequence, burn. Mix tapes are real time, and you have to listen to your selections while you're recording them. I'm trying to get a head start on the cassette nostalgia craze that's going to sweep the land in the 2010s!

2fs said...

You know, I made several mix tapes without really listening to them. I'd start the song, let it record...and listen to something else, if (for example) I had a bunch of new CDs I wanted to listen to at the same time that I was making a mix.