Friday, January 12, 2007

Best thing that I ever heard

Wrapping up the Sloan discussion (for now), with a fateful story about the last time I saw them live, on June 25th 2002, at Slim's in SF on the Pretty Together tour.

The show itself was great, and the guys rocked the place to the rafters, but I mostly remember it as the night my car got stolen. I parked at my usual spot on secluded side street a few blocks away, but when I walked back after the show, there was just an empty space on the curb where my car was left. After going through nearly every human emotion in the space of a few minutes, I decided to report my car as missing.

This was before I had a cell phone, so I called the SFPD from a pay phone at the Eagle Tavern (a nearby establishment that happened to be a "leather/gay" bar) and told the police dispatch that I couldn't my car where I'd parked it just a few hours ago. I gave a description of the car and where it was parked and when I left it, but froze up when he asked me where I was calling from. I didn't want to say I calling from the Eagle, afraid he'd think I was some dude in leather and chains who couldn't recall where he left his car after a wild night, so I said "Uhh.. 12th and .. Folsom!" (one block up from the Eagle where I actually was).

After I got off the phone I headed up the street to wait for the police to show up, and while they were on their way to meet me, they got a call on the radio that a car matching mine was spotted about ten blocks up from where I was. Some hooligans had taken it for a ten block joyride, adjusted the driver's seat, set all FM radio presets to Wild 94.9, then left it on the side of the road with the engine running.

All's well that ends well, but even though Sloan had nothing to do with my car being stolen, that post-concert experience turned me off the band for the next few years. And I still haven't been able to listen to Pretty Together. Coincidentally, that's the only one of their albums that isn't currently available on emusic.

No comments: