Monday, April 7, 2008

Rock Chalk Jayhawks


Congratulations to the Kansas Jayhawks for winning their first NCAA Basketball Championship in 20 years. They were nine points down to Memphis with two minutes remaining, went on a 9-0 run to take it to overtime, and won going away, 75-68 in OT.

NCAA basketball finals are usually not competitive games, but this was close all the way through to the end. Neither team (Kansas or Memphis) had a lead of more than ten points for the entire game, and it went back and forth for all 45 minutes.

After picking all four final four teams correctly, I picked both semifinal games wrong (I had UCLA vs. UNC in the finals), but ended up getting just one of them wrong since I somehow picked Kansas over North Carolina in the ESPN poll.  This elevated my final bracket in the 88th percentile in the ESPN tournament challenge, probably the best I've ever picked. The secret is to pick all the favorites whenever possible. Unfortunately, I still didn't win our NCAA basketball pool, so the drinks are on .. someone else.

My Picks
Final Four: North Carolina, Kansas, Memphis, UCLA
Finals: Kansas, UCLA
Champion: UCLA

No comments: